Blog Archive

#22: Make 10 New Recipes


Salmon Pesto Pastasource The Way the Cookie Crumbles
Since we enjoyed the last recipe I got from this blog, I wasted no time in trying another. And it looked pretty easy to make.
8 ounces pasta (I used penne)12 ounces salmonsalt and pepper1 teaspoon grated lemon zest1 tablespoon olive oil1 teaspoon lemon juice5 ounces evaporated milk1/2 cup pesto (recipe below)grated Parmesan, for servingBring a large pot of water to boil. When water is boiling, add a teaspoon of salt and the pasta; stir to separate. Cook pasta until al dente; drain. Pour evaporated milk into empty pot and simmer over medium-high heat until reduced to 1/4 cup. Add cooked pasta to pot and stir to combine.Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat broiler. Line a baking sheet or pan with aluminum foil. Season skinless side of salmon liberally with salt and pepper, sprinkle with zest, then rub with olive oil. Broil until salmon is no longer translucent and if firm when pressed, about 10 minutes. Remove from broiler and sprinkle with lemon juice. Use fork to flake into bite-sized pieces. Skin will stick to foil and can be discarded.Add salmon to pasta mixture and stir over medium heat until hot. Remove from heat and stir in pesto. Top with Parmesan cheese.Pesto
For my recipe I used prepared pesto. My feeling is that until I know the recipe is good, I do not want to spend too much time on it. So if this is added into the rotation, I may decide to make pesto from scratch. Until then, that's ok. Plus I do not have a food processor. I could probably use a blender though. But for those that choose to here is how you do it.
Makes 1/2 cup1/4 cup pine nuts toasted5 medium cloves garlic, unpeeled2 cups packed fresh basil leaves, rinsed thoroughly2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, Italian (optional)1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oilpinch of salt1/4 cup (1/2 ounce) finely grated Parmesan cheeseToast pine nuts in a small, heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until just golden and fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the nuts to bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade.Add the unpeeled garlic to empty skillet and toast until fragrant, shaking the pan occasionally, and the color of the cloves deepens slightly, about 7 minutes. Let the garlic cool, then peel and add to food processor bowl.Place basil and parsley in heavy-duty, quart-size, zipper-lock bag; pound with flat side of meat pounder until all leaves are bruised.Process nuts and garlic until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients except cheese; process until smooth, stopping as necessary to scrape down with flexible spatula.Transfer mixture to small bowl, stir in cheese and adjust salt. (Can be covered with a sheet of plastic wrap and placed directly over the surface or filmed with oil and refrigerated up to 5 days.) Notes: I used a pound of salmon. We really like salmon, so the more the better. As mentioned above, I used prepared pesto. Oh, and I always add more cheese than the recipe says. I just can't get enough of it.
Verdict: Well, this recipe combined all things that I love, pasta, pesto, and salmon...oh, and don't forget cheese. So off the bat I knew it was going to be yummy. And it was. Now we will just have to see how the Hubs feels about it.
The Hubs' Verdict: He loved it too. Yeah. We actually were fighting over who got the leftovers. I definitely will be making this again...very soon.