Blog Archive

Recipe of the Week - Fail


So this week I tried something new. Butternut Squash and Vanilla Risotto that I got from here. I have never had or made risotto before so I was not sure how it would taste, but it looked good and I was willing to try it. All I knew was that it was similar to rice and they made it on every episode of Hell's Kitchen this year.

Now I think I cooked it the appropriate amount of time, but it was a little firm. I cooked it longer, but it was still firm. That is what is in the directions (tender, but firm), but the Hubs said it tasted like it was not done. To me it was the same texture and firmness as rice you get at Chinese restaurants.

As you can see from the title, it was a fail. I personally did not think it was bad (believe me I have no issue saying something I made was nasty). On the other hand, the Hubs did not even give it a try. Well ok, he took a bite out of what was in the pan and decided he was going to eat something else for dinner.

I will admit, I was a little pissed. It is fine with me if he does not like something, but he did not even try it. He has never had risotto either, so I told him it was similar to rice, but I guess he wanted it to taste like rice. Whatever. So from now on I will stick to ingredients he has had before because obviously he is not into experimenting. Guess there is no point in me trying quinoa or bulgur. Guess I will stick to making pasta dishes.

Recipe of the Week- FAIL. Better luck next week.