Blog Archive

Going Green: Laundry Detergent


As I have to replace my traditional products I am buying "green" ones. I personally think it is a waste to throw all the old stuff away and I have been using it my whole life so using it for a little longer is not going to have any more detrimental of an effect on my health than it already has. So I am getting "green" laundry detergent. In fact, I am going to start to make my own. I am a chemist at heart, so this is right up my alley...and it is like 10x cheaper than the free and sensitive products i was buying before.

There are several recipes for DIY detergents here. I was going to do the powdered detergent...easier, but the Hubs says he would rather have liquid so I will give it a try.

The recipe I am going to use is:
1 quart water (boiling)
2 cups of bar soap (grated) I am going to use Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Organic Bar Soap
2 cups Borax (found in the laundry aisle)
2 cups Washing Soda (found in the laundry aisle)Very basic and if I don't like the results, I haven't wasted much money. And there are several recipes so I will just try another...maybe powder.I will show my results when I have them.