Blog Archive

Recipe of the Week - Sea Scallops


The Hubs has tried several times to make scallops and the results have been....well, not good. He had given up on them. So the last time we went to the wharf we got a pound of scallops for me to give it a go.

I got the recipe from the Food Network.

16 medium diver scallops, cleaned
1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for searing
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups field greens

In a medium bowl, marinate the scallops with olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Let them marinate for 20 minutes.

Heat enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the scallops. Cook quickly in each side until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove from the heat and place 4 scallops around a mound of greens. Repeat.

I did not use the field greens and just made the scallops.

I figured out what the Hubs was doing wrong each time he made scallops. He was using waaaay too much oil, well in his case butter. (I am trying to get him out of that unhealthy habit).

If I made this recipe again I would not add the salt, but other than that they were very good. Yeah, because we both love scallops.