Blog Archive

Recipe of the Week - Cheddar Corn Chowder


It's that time again. Recipe of the Week. I have to admit I am starting to like cooking these recipes. Well, I guess that is if the Hubs like them. But so far I have had only one fail. So far, so good.

This week I decided to make corn chowder. Perfect for tonight because it is rainy outside. So nothing like a good, hearty chowder. The smell is amazing. I am actually still in the process of cooking. Right now I am letting the potatoes get tender.

I got the recipe from Proceed with Caution. You can probably see that I LOVE this blog. I did modify it a little, making it vegetarian.

Cheddar Corn Chowder

2 Tablespoons good olive oil (I don't know what that means, just used what I had)
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions (1 large onion) - (I only used 1 cup, not big on onions)
1/4 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric (I didn't have this so I left it out)
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
3 cups chicken stock (I used vegetable stock and used 3.5 cups)
3 cups medium-diced white boiling potatoes, unpeeled (1 pounds) (I used 4 cups)
5 cups corn kernels, fresh (5 ears) or frozen (1.5 pounds) (I used 2 lbs. of frozen organic corn)
1/2 cup 2% milk (I used plain soy milk)
2 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, grated

Directions

In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.

Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, old bay and turmeric and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and potatoes, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender (it may take longer, I just let them simmer).

If using fresh corn, cut the kernels off the cob and blanch them for 3 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain. (If using frozen corn you can skip this step.) Add the corn to the soup, then add the milk and cheddar. Cook for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is melted. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Note: After I added the corn I decided to add some more vegetable stock. So I used a total of 4 cups of vegetable stock. I also added some extra Old Bay, salt, and pepper for the added ingredients. Also the Hubs is going to add some chicken strips to his, so he will have chicken and corn chowder.

And the verdict is....Yummy.

If I make this again i would add more vegetables, celery, carrots, red pepper maybe. It would give more flavor.